Scan India manufactures 3 Layer polyethylene external coating on steel pipes in diameter ranges from 25 mm to 2000 mm. This coating provides excellent corrosion resistance, chemical resistance, electrical resistance, and has very low moisture permeability. The three coating layers in 3-LPE coated pipe are as follows:
Layer 1: This is the corrosion protective layer. This layer is of fusion bonded epoxy which offers very good corrosion protection. The fusion bonded epoxy has a very good bonding with the blasted steel surface.
Layer 2: This layer is the copolymer adhesive. The copolymer adhesive is a maleic anhydride grafted polyethylene compound. This material has good chemical bonding to the fusion bonded epoxy and the top layer polyethylene
Layer 3: This layer is for physical protection and consists of polyethylene. Since the copolymer adhesive and polyethylene are similar, they bond well with each other.
STANDARDS AND SPECIFICATIONS:
3LPE pipes are manufactured according the following standards:
• DIN 30670
• CSA Z245.21
• AS 4321
• IS 3581
FEATURES OF 3LPE COATED PIPES:
Corrosion Resistance :
• 3LPE Coating prevents steel pipe from corrosion.
• Excellent chemical resistance properties and resistance to cathodic disbondment.
• 3LPE Coating has got good resistance to moisture permeability.
Mechanical Protection :
• Top coat of polyethylene prevents abrasion and damage to fusion bonded epoxy during handling.
• Polyethylene topcoat permits use of local material without relying on specific backfilling material.
High Bond Strength :
• The external and internal 3LPE coating and lining is bonded firmly to the mild steel pipe surface and the mean adhesion strength is 125 kg/cm² (ASTM D 4541).
Long Working Life :
• Pipe has constant performance characteristics through out the life span. Service life of more than 75 years.
Customized Solutions :
• 3LPE external coating can be applied from diameters 25 mm to 2000 mm with lengths of up to 12m.
3 layer polyethylene coating is the preferred method of corrosion protective coating applied on steel pipes used in oil & gas applications. Engineers and end users the world over specify 3LPE coating for its versatility & flexibility for its use in varied environment from hot & sandy desert soil of the Gulf to harsh frosty sea beds in the Artic region. This has been proved by the numerous years in services of 3PLE Coating. This coating has also found its use in projects for portable water & raw water. Engineers have realized that to protect the pipeline from corrosion, a thorough & proven coating system is required.
3LPE coated steel pipes are used in the following applications where the pipes are either buried or submerged:
• Drinking water pipelines.
• Oil and gas pipelines
• In plant process water applications